Canada’s medical cannabis market has been steadily growing. The country has seen an average of a 10 percent increase each month in the number of Canadian patients signed up to receive medical cannabis. The sale of dried cannabis has grown steadily at 6 percent a month, and the sale of cannabis oil has been growing by 16 percent a month.
Profit margins in the retail side of the cannabis industry are more modest than for other types of cannabis business due in part to the fact that average startup costs for dispensaries are higher than other sectors of the marijuana business. Median operational costs for retailers are also the highest in the industry, at around $600,000 annually.
Cannabis Dispensary Business Plan
The Cannabis Dispensary Business Plan is an essential document if you own or are going own a medical marijuana dispensary. If you are applying for a dispensary permit or are interested in obtaining funding, the dispensary business plan is also a vital document to have.
Cannabis dispensary business conditions differ from province to province and if you have planned to set up your own dispensary business, then you must comply with the laws of your particular province. Licensing requirements will also depend on the type of business you wish to start. Someone who operates a grow house will require a completely different type of license than someone who owns a marijuana dispensary.
The initial capital to start a dispensary business depends on many factors, including location, premises size, your goals and objectives. For example, your goal is to reach the annual revenue more than $1 mln or under $150,000 is also appropriate. For these two goals there will be different initial CAPEX and OPEX:
- $7,000 Application fee (depends on province, one-time application and annual license fees typically range anywhere from $7,000 to $50,000 for dispensaries and tend to be much higher for cultivation licenses)
- $25,000 for six months rent
- $30,000 for a space improvements
- Deals with growers, often costing nothing more that a percentage of the sale from their product, for dispensaries it will be approximately 33%
- $500 for display cases
- $150 office supplies
- $750 for security system
- $175 for a sign
- $1,000 for product bottles and $250 for jars to store the products
- $150 on labels (all white)
- plus salaries for manager and guard
= approximately $65,000 start-up expenses
$1 mln Scenario
- $50,000 Legal Fees & Licensing & Insurances
- $250,000 Building renting (includes security deposit)
- $70,000 Inventory, packaging supplies
- $2,500 Website design and development, hosting
- $70,000 Marketing Campaign
- $100,000 Space improvements including finishing/painting, kitchen, office space, bathrooms, etc.
- $35,000 Security system including multiple camera feeds and metal/weapons detectors
- $70,000 Furniture, Display Counters, Refrigerators, Freezers, Multiple POS/ Cash Registers, Registration Computer, Commercial Label Printer, Storage Hardware and Shelving, etc.
- $15,000 Computer Software (Accounting Software, Payroll Software, CRM Software, Microsoft Office, QuickBooks Pro, etc.)
- plus salaries for director, managers and guards
= approximately $800,000-$1,000,000 start-up expenses
Average sales per square foot for a cannabis dispensary/shop is $2,000. More established operations boast 40-50% profit margins, while newer shops may only see 20% due to their lack of strategic partnerships and vendor relations.
Revenue = $1,000,000 (100%)
-Direct Costs = $350,000 (35% if you mix own product line and vendors, 55% if case of only vendors product line)
Gross Profit = $650,000 (65%)
– Operating Expenses = $300,000 (30%)
Operating Income = $350,000 (35%)
Our Cannabis Dispensary Business Plan is prepared based on the existing knowledge of consultants regarding the Medical and Recreational Cannabis Industry in general and is specific to the province.
Table of Contents
Products & Services
Global Market Overview
Province Cannabis Law
Cannabis Sector Projections and Perspectives
STRATEGY & IMPLEMENTATION
Online Advertising Obstacles
Alternative Online Advertising Options
Physical Security Plan
Packaging and Labeling
ORGANISATIONAL STRUCTURE & MANAGEMENT
Profit & Loss Forecast
Cash Flow Statement
Income Statements, monthly
Cash Flow Statements, monthly
Please do not hesitate to contact us to make an order for a cannabis business plan or a cannabis industry research. We will create complete and professional business plans, including pro forma financials and projections to help you know how much money it’ll cost to start your business and how much money you can make by starting and operating your 100% legally compliant medical and recreational marijuana business.
Best Selling Cannabis Business Plan Templates
Cannabis Cultivation Business Plan Template
Cannabis Cultivation + Extraction / Concentrates Business Plan Template$350.00 – $425.00 Select options
Cannabis Dispensary/Shop Business Plan Template
Cannabis Cultivation Financial Model$175.00 Select options
Cannabis Cultivation+Extraction Financial Model$200.00 Select options
Cannabis Investor Pitch Deck Template$125.00 – $200.00 Select options
Cannabis Cultivation + Extraction/ Manufacturing + Dispensary/ Store Financial Model$250.00 Select options
Cannabis Extraction/Concentrates Business Plan Template